Sunday, April 17, 2011

Bunny Tails

We are home from our vacation to the beach in California and I have the post-vacation blues.
I always get them.
It was really bad after our Disneyland trip in February.
I think I cried every day for a week.
(I love Disneyland!)

I'll post about our trip later.  In the meantime....

I volunteered to help with Lucy's First Grade Spring Party.
All the other mom's were assigned to bring ice cream.
I was assigned a craft or a game.
Instant stress. 
 Surprised?  

The first graders were to rotate in 20 minute stations.
I needed a game or a craft that was easy enough for 6-year-olds but also interesting enough to keep their attention.

I was SO embarrassed when Lucy's teacher, with whom I am also Facebook friends, wrote on my wall that Lucy told her that I was stressing out, but not to worry because 1st graders are easily entertained.

The day before the party I still had no ideas but one of my neighbors, who is also a Facebook friend 
(I love Facebook!--thank you Auna!), 
posted the Bunny Tails idea.

Voila!

It was a hit.  
The kids colored and decorated their tags, glued them onto decorative paper, put "bunny tails" (marshmallows--I found pink ones at Smith's--so cute), in snack-sized baggies, and I helped staple the tags onto the baggies.

They loved it.

They also had an ice cream station.  They were able to "buy" ice cream and toppings with "money" they had earned from good behavior.
Here is Lucy standing in line.

Lucy's creation.

Lucy and some friends.

The highlight of my day, besides Lucy being so excited I was there that she couldn't stop hugging me, was when a little girl came up to me and said, 
"I like your clothes, and I like your hair."

3 comments:

Jen said...

Amy, I love your blog design! You totally sound like me when I have to do something like that for one of my kids' classes... and LOL that she told her teacher that you were stressed. Don't you just love that?

Tina said...

What a cute idea. Lucy looked like she was in heaven!

Silas Marner said...

Aah, the memories! Makes me feel sooo old!