Joke #1
Josh played this joke on my the day BEFORE April Fool's Day so I was caught completely off guard.
About 7:00 in the evening, on the second to last day before the school term ended, Josh told me he had a 1,000 word report due on Kennecott Mine.
Worse than that, he needed picture proof that he visited the mine.
Worse than that, he needed to interview a Kennecott employee.
Bravo to Jeff, who was in on the joke, and his acting skills. He kept it up for a full 5 minutes.
Phrases that may have come out of my mouth upon learning all of this:
"Are you kidding me? You've known about this for TWO MONTHS!"
"You are grounded for I-don't-know-how-long!"
"You will not play outside. You will not play with friends. You will not play Legos. You will not play video games."
"Look, Jeff. Look at him smirking. He thinks this is funny. He'll think funny...."
Jeff asked me how to work my new camera, (Again, great acting), they got in the car and left me fuming.
Then they walked back in and I was soooo relieved and started laughing.
I can't say that I had the same reaction for joke #2.
Joke #2
It was a very long day.
I was tired, had a headache, and was in a bad mood.
I was sitting on the couch combing out Lucy's hair and putting it up for the night when Sam said,
"Mom, look a spider!"
"Mom, look a spider!"
I replied, "Oh, that's nice. A spider?"
He said, "Yeah, a spider. Look, behind your head."
As I flipped around to see, and caught a glimpse of wings and antennae, I screamed and in my panic to jump off the couch, I hit my lip on Lucy's head. HARD!!!
When I realized what Josh had done, I laughed I LOST IT!
Let me preface by saying that Josh has done similar to me before and I have gotten VERY mad and told him he is absolutely forbidden from doing it ever again!
I wish I could say I had the same reaction to the first joke. But I didn't.
I also wish I could write down the phrases I said.
But I can't.
I threw the hairbrush, the hairspray.
I swore.
A lot.
I yelled.
A lot.
And seeing Jeff try sooooo hard to stifle his laughter just put me right over the top.
I sent everyone straight to bed, took 3 ibuprofen, and went to bed myself, slamming several doors along the way.
I was able to laugh about it, a little, the next day and take these reenactment pictures so you can visualize the full effect.
By the way, my lip STILL hurts 3 days later.
Neurotic moment: Really, I'm trying so hard to quit swearing. It became a habit after I had Sam (I was so sleep deprived and I felt bitter and entitled.)
It's purely reactionary and a very hard habit to break.
I've done pretty well keeping my New Year's Resolution, but this episode put me back to square one.
My kids get mad at me every time and I'm setting a terrible example.
So, staring again. Right.......now.
2 comments:
I loved how Josh got such a kick out of telling me his April Fool's jokes. With boys in the house I think you better get used to it and prepared for next year. :)
If my memory serves me correctly, I think the swearing problem did not just start with you having Sam, I think we've both had a swearing problem since we were about 16. :) I'm still working on mine as well, but I agree a VERY hard habit to break.
I love the April fools jokes, but I am glad my kids did nothing of the sort, the extent of their jokes was toilet papering the house, which they had to clean up themselves of course so the joke was really on them. :)
Post a Comment