Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cowboy Cookies

1 C. sugar
1C. brown sugar
1/2 C. shortening
1/2 C. butter or margarine
Tip #1.  Make sure the butter/margarine is cold.  
If it is room temperature or warmer
the dough will spread too much and burn around the edges.

Mix sugars, shortening and butter VERY WELL.  This takes awhile because the butter is cold.

Add 2 eggs and mix.

2 C. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt


Mix well.


And now for the secret ingredient:

2 C. dry instant oats
1 t. vanilla (I'm not sure why you add the vanilla at the end, but I am not going to mess with a good thing.)

After mixing in the oats and vanilla add 1/2 to 1 bag of chocolate chips.  I like Guittard (not sure how you pronounce that) brand because the chocolate chips are jumbo-size and it's good, quality chocolate.

Cookie dough goes perfectly with an ice-cold diet coke  :)


Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-13 minutes.
Tip #2:
If the cookie sheets are cold the dough won't spread so much and burn around the edges.  I always stick the pans in the freezer for a minute or two before spooning the dough on.


My sister, Keri, enjoying some cookies


I usually take one of my boys with me and we deliver some to friends or family in the neighborhood.
(Jeff gets requests to bring them to work too)
Basically, it's just a glorified chocolate chip cookie, but man, are they good.
I've been known to eat several (or all the rest of them)
in the middle of the night--and then my kids are furious with me in the morning.

4 comments:

The Cotton Floozy said...

YUM.

Tina said...

I am so impressed with your baking skills! Where did they come from? Certainly not your mother! Must have skipped a generation and come from your Nana. :)

Stacey Sargent said...

YES! I am so glad you posted the recipe!! Best cookies in the world!

Sarah said...

You are AWESOME! I so very much appreciated the step by step instructions along with the helpful photos.

I especially enjoyed the juxtaposed can of diet Coke. It's amazing how well a cold sip of something heavenly (and slightly stinging to the back of the throat) can go with a delicious wad of cookie dough.

Sometimes life just can't get any better now, can it.