I'm taking a little break from blogging. I've also deactivated my Facebook account and all pinning on Pinterest has come to a halt. There is too much clutter in my life right now. I'm trying to figure out a way to de-stress and become more focused. I have been having a bad case of anxiety and panic attacks since my miscarriage 5 months ago. I don't know why and it's frustrating, but I'm not too surprised. This exact thing happened after I had my last baby and it lasted over a year (praying really, REALLY hard it doesn't last that long this time). I try to cope by staying busy, eating right (I need soooo much help with this one), exercising, praying (a LOT), reading scriptures, writing in a journal, meditating, etc.
I have decided, though, that facebook, blogging and Pinterest are ADDING to my stress level. I'm checking fb on my phone 50 times a day.
I'm comparing (I try not to, but it's oh, so hard!) myself to the other moms who have their kids perfectly dressed, fed, schooled, lesson-ed, blah, blah, it goes on and on.
I'm wishing for things I don't have.
I'm trying to keep up, keep up, keep up with everyone.
It's OVERWHELMING!
And do you know what else I've realized?
People are MEAN!
And texting, instant messaging and facebook have been the perfect vehicles for people to become even meaner. People say things they would NEVER say face-to-face with someone. And it's too easy to say those awful things, because there are no instant consequences.
Social media has also elevated, to a degree, everyone's vanity. It's like reading everyone's Christmas cards all year round. There are some blogs and facebook pages that I love because the people are REAL! It's real life! I love that, and if I start blogging/facebooking again I am vowing to keep it real. Good and bad.
If I read one more "perfect mommy" blog I will scream!!!!!
Pinterest is a place where I drool over what I want and then look around me wish for what I don't have. That is so messed up and unhealthy. I am trying to focus on staying positive and being grateful for what I DO have.
Sorry for my rant. I'll be back soon, but this is a much-needed break.
8 comments:
Good for you for knowing what you need. It can be overwhelming, I agree. And I really hate mean people.
Take care of yourself.
I LOVE your rant! It is so true!! I don't have any internet on my phone for that reason-too overwhelming!! I blog daily and check FB a few times a week but you are right... it's overwhelming and people can be mean and unreal. I love the Christmas card analogy. SO TRUE!! I hope you do continue blogging the real stuff. And as for "keeping up", I gave up on that years ago. I am who I am and I do what I do not matter what the neighbors do or think about it. It's healthier. I hope things calm down for you!!
Wow. I've been feeling the same way. I know I need to quit looking at stupid Facebook 8 million times a day, and stop coveting everything on Pinterest, and especially stop comparing myself to others who "seem" to be perfect. I'm a mess, and I need to accept that and try to do better. Good for you for recognizing it and doing what you are doing. It's a great idea. Good luck! You are doing better than you think ;) I'll look forward to you coming back so I have something funny to read during one of my way-too-many Facebook checks! :D
Hey Amy--
You are human, and so much like me. It is hard not to compare yourself with everyone else. And you are so right, social media makes it so easy to do just that. I am sorry you are still struggling with anxiety from your miscarriage. I struggled for quite a while after mine, it is not an easy road, and I feel your pain. You will be in my thoughts and prayers today. Take care of yourself, and do whatever you need to do to find peace in your life and the life of your family.
No one will judge you for doing what is best for you!! I wish you luck in your quest for peace and calm in your life. When you come back to blogging down the road, we will enjoy following your journey again. You really are an amazing mom and a super lady, and I agree with Jen, you are doing better than you think. I love reading your adventures. You always make me smile. :) Hang in there!-- Laura
I agree with you completely! I am seriously considering deleting my facebook account. It's a time waster, they talked about it in General Conference and I have a friend who just deleted hers and tells me "I've never felt so free!" I don't mind the blogs, I guess most the ones I read are pretty real including yours so I hope you don't stop completely! I do hate all the bragging that goes on facebook and I can't stand to see all the statuses of a lot of my friends because it's like a competition! Don't worry about all those Mom's who look like they have it all together. Somewhere in their lives they are lacking or hiding something! Hope you feel better and enjoy your break!
So true :) I hope you will blog when it feels right. I look forward to your insights and humor. And one of my favorite posts was your video of your baby having a tantrum. As real as it gets, lol.
Amy,
You're so awesome. This post expresses my feelings exactly. Go read my "editorial" posts on my blog. You'll feel better by comparison in a hot hurry...
Can you come to my mom's house tonight? We are having a little baby shower thingy for Kimmie at 7 pm. (She's due just before Christmas.)You were such an important part of her life. No gift needed--just bring yourself! We all would love to see you. We love you!
(And we're having healthy snacks, e.g., asparagus wraps, fruit and veggies, and also some Kim Sweets, e.g., sugared nuts, chocolate strawbs, etc. Just come if you can. We'd be so glad to see you!)
--Natalie
Post a Comment