Saturday, April 12, 2008

Baby Samuel

After a pregnancy that can only be described as heinous, the baby finally arrived on April 3. We named him Samuel Wendell Droubay. Lucy game him the name Sam. She insisted throughout the pregnancy that it was going to be Sam if the baby was a boy. We were leaning more toward Isaac, but she said, "You can call him Isaac if you want, but I'm going to call him Sam." So, we had no choice. The name Wendell is significant because both my dad and grandpa are named Wendell.

Amy had health problems throughout the pregnancy, including problems with her thyroid, heart and blood pressure. Things culminated in March when all of us got the flu for weeks. But he is now here and it is worth it. Meanwhile, I will be looking for a good deal on a vasectomy.

The birth was as eventful as the pregnancy. He came out blue with the cord wrapped around his neck and with his shoulder stuck in the birth canal. I figured things were getting a bit dicey when the nurse jumped up on Amy's bed and started trying to push him out. In the end, our OB, who is also our neighbor, managed to pull him out in a way that defies description, and left me thinking that Amy was going to be hurting in the morning. He weighed 8 pounds 14 ounces, and was 21 inches long.

We have been home for a week, and despite being tired, are loving it. Amy has already lost something like 20 pounds, and I think I have gained a few courtesy of the Canyon View Ward Relief Society. Here are some pictures of the event. Again, I emphasize that everyone should enjoy these because this is the last time we will be having a baby. Oh, and did I mention that we won't be doing this again?



Shortly after being born.


With Nana. Thanks to her for all of her help during the past few months.


A visit from Grandpa and Grandma D.


With his brother Jake (aka J-Train, JJ, and J)




Aunt Stacey


The three boys. We are scared and tired just thinking about it.



Shortly before heading home from the hospital.




Lucy really missed her mom while she was in the hospital. She slept in my bed, and one night held my hand, and said, "I miss my mom," and then fell asleep. It made me choke up a little bit.



Three brothers. Wow. Will she survive? Maybe--if she gets some good advice from her Aunt Kimber.




Getting fatter. The kid eats constantly.


































15 comments:

Stacey Sargent said...

oh he is so adorable. I love him. don't mind that I got a little chocked up as well with lucy's comment about missing amy.

Holland said...

Josh and Jake guitar hero. Someone needs to but Rock Band so Samuel can play. He's adorable and manly. Jeff you sound pretty convincing, I'm almost sold on it.

Holland said...

thats "buy" Rock Band

Jeff said...

Oh, believe it. It's true. We've set the bar at four. Everyone can aim to beat that now.

Kelie said...

he is so cute! I think he looks just like lucy. and lucy will love being spoiled as the only girl. can't wait to see him! congrats!!

Anonymous said...

he is so cute! We can't wait to get baby Jack and little sam together.

PJ and Julie said...

Jeff, we are already half way to the bar, so I don't think it is going to be too hard to reach/break. Thanks for posting so I can see how cute my nieces and nephews are. He's such a cute little guy. I can't wait to hold all these babies next month!

Tina said...

He looks like Lucy in one picture, Josh in another and Jake in still another. Got the whole family covered. He is a cutie! I am so glad that it is over for Amy and he is here and healthy. Can you believe all these cute little babies?

Holland said...

I love seeing all those pictures of samuel. He looks like Lucy and Josh. I bet it feels great to know that you are done. He is adorable.

HeatherD said...

He is so adorable. We have been checking your blog everyday waiting for pictures. Our hospital visit was so fast that we have been anxiously waiting for more. Sam is going to be so lucky to have brother's to play with and a sister to help mother him. Amy, we are especially happy for you that you are done. Yea!--Brian and Heather

Kelli said...

Congrats guys! He is so sweet! Are you sure you are done? You guys have the cutest kids.

Heidi P said...

Amy!! Wow, what a little (big) cutie! FINIALLY here! Congratulations. Sounds like the delivery was a treat?! I am glad you are both doing ok. I love the pics of the kids hold him, pricless...
He is Darling, and I love the name Sam!

Erin said...

Wow! What a little doll! Sounds like you guys have been through a lot getting him here! I'm so glad you are all healthy and hopefully the worst part is over (aside from the sleepless nights, Amy being a milk machine and the total craziness that comes from having a newborn!). :) Hang in there! He really is so precious and Kenny and I are so happy for your family. Jeff - you and Kenny can go in on a 2-4-1 special for the vasectomy. I'm proud of you for making it to 4...Kenny swears he's done at 2. We'll see! Love you all - congrats again!

Chris Sargent said...

Sam is adorable...You guys have the cutest kids....and Jeff good luck

Chris said...

You guys did a great job again. You definitely produce beautiful babies. I did not know Josh and Jake as babies but I can see Lucy in him. so so so cute!!